Milanese Tarot by Dotti 1862
Edoardo Dotti’s Milanese Tarot is one of the jewels of European Tarot production in the 19th century.
Teodoro Dotti was a partner with the famous cartier Gumppenberg from 1838 to 1842. During this time Dotti would have been well acquainted with the famous Soprafino deck that Gumppenberg commissioned Carlo Dellarocca to engrave. After 1842 Dotti continued on the path taken by the German master and not having access to the copper plates used to print the Soprafino Tarot, commissioned an engraver to prepare new plates. The resulting deck bears many resemblances to the Soprafino deck, but with changes that reflect the changing culture and political environment. For example, notice the Empress empty shield. By this time, the Hapsburgs were out and Napoleon III was in as ruler of Italy so the imperial eagle had to be removed.
The graceful lines, rich colors , card dimensions and card backs have been faithfully reproduced in this elegant limited edition of 900 decks. This edition is possible because of a rare deck held in a private collection. The set comes with a certificate of authenticity which lists the edition number.
The set comes with a booklet written by Giordano Berti in which the history of the Milanese Tarot is narrated from its origins. Covering the first decades of the fifteenth century to the mid-twentieth century, including the particular story that led to the birth of the Edoardo Dotti Tarot. This is a story that deserves to be known by lovers of Tarot and playing cards all over the world.
The Set is available in two different packages. The Deluxe version comes in a book-shaped box, created by the art designer Letizia Rivetti and produced by expert Italian artisans. The Standard Version comes in a two-piece telescopic box covered with the same marbled paper.
- Publisher: OM Edizioni and Rinascimento Italian Style Art, Italy, 2021.
- Curator: Giordano Berti
- Limited edition: 900 numbered and signed copies.
- Deck: 78 cards + 1 guarantee with number and signature of the editor
- Card format: approximately 4" × 2"
- Available in a deluxe book shaped art box designed by Letizia Rivetti or standard Keepsake two-piece telescopic box. Both boxes are covered with marbled paper and created by local artisans in Italy.
- Booklet: by Giordano Berti in English. 60 full color pages; semi-rigid cove
- Leaflet: by Giulia Orsini. 8 pages with traditional divinatory meanings of the 78 cards and methods of reading. English translation by Adam West-Watson.
Rinascimento Italian Style Art is a creator, publisher and artistic team founded by historian of esotericism in art Giordano Berti and art designer Letizia Rivetti. The project is committed to historical study and reproduction of ancient Tarots, rare playing cards and oracular decks.
Giordano is a writer and historian of esotericism in Art, known throughout the world for historical studies on the Tarot and for the design of educational games
Letizia is an art designer, founder of ArtStudioLetizia, creator of spectacular environments, art installations and art objects.