Egyptian Tarot Schwaller 1926
This magnificent Egyptian-style Tarot was conceived in 1926 by the French theosophist René Schwaller de Lubicz
René “Aor” Schwaller de Lubicz, born in 1887 in Strasbourg, Alsace, was an alchemist, Egyptologist, neo-Pythagorean philosopher, theosophist, hermeticist. This Tarot was conceived in 1926 in St. Moritz, Switzerland, where he founded, in 1923, the Suhalia scientific station, aimed at the preparation of medicines following alchemical procedures.
Schwaller was convinced that Tarot was indeed a “game” of Egyptian origin, with which the priests predicted the future. Schwaller wrote: “The Tarot is a synthesis of theosophy and astrology. Its foundation is divine wisdom.“ The deck designed by Schwaller consists of 25 cards that express the Paths of Knowledge and Wisdom revealed by the Master.
The images were drawn in black and white by his stepdaughter Lucie Lamy, perhaps in collaboration with the Italian painter Elmiro Celli. Many figures are taken directly from Egyptian paintings. For this reason Giordano Berti, curator of the present edition, decided to colorize the figures to their primitive beauty using as reference the fundamental treatise Panthéon Egyptien (1823) by the great French Egyptologist Jean-François Champollion and other illustrative works.
The graphics of the cards and the packaging were designed by the art designer Letizia Rivetti, who came to realize this modern aesthetic synthesis after a long research on the decorative art of the ancient Egyptians.
This edition is limited to 986 numbers copies signed by Giordano Berti.
- Publisher : OM Edizioni, Italia, 2019.
- Curator : Giordano Berti.
- Drawings : Lucie Lamy and Elmiro Celli.
- Colors : Virginia Covoni.
- Graphics : ArtStudioLetizia
- Limited edition : 986 numbered and signed copies.
- Content: 25 large color cards approximately 3" X 6", 2 Talisman cards, Certificate of Authenticity with the edition number.
- Multilingual edition: keywords in Italian, English, French and Spanish.
- Booklet: 90 color pages, divided into four parts.
- Part 1: Giordano Berti, historian of esotericism in art, introduces the understanding of the work.
- Part 2: Professor Aaron Cheak, one of the greatest experts in the world of thought of Schwaller de Lubicz, narrates the adventurous life, the thought and the works of this esotericist.
- Part 3: the Egyptologist Ada Pavan Russo explains in detail the content of the figures and their divinatory meanings.
- Part 4: Ada Pavan Russo describes the ways to interrogate these cards.
Rinascimento Italian Style Art is a creator, publisher and artistic team founded by historian of esotericism in art Giordano Berti and art designer Letizia Rivetti. The project is committed to historical study and reproduction of ancient Tarots, rare playing cards and oracular decks.
Giordano is a writer and historian of esotericism in Art, known throughout the world for historical studies on the Tarot and for the design of educational games
Letizia is an art designer, founder of ArtStudioLetizia, creator of spectacular environments, art installations and art objects.